1. Hi Russ, how are you? What you been up to lately?
I’m good thanks. I’ve been enjoying a bit of rare time off but I’ve also been working on various musical projects. I helped write and record some of the new MEW album, played guitar with Tim Wheeler for his recent live shows and then there’s new Bloc Party album.
2.So you are launching your new club night PILOT at North London hangout Proud, how did that come about?
Earlier this year I was DJing at Matt Horne’s night Session. I had such a brilliant time that I ended up talking with some of the other DJ’s and promoters there about working on something together.
3.What can Proud Camden expect?
We’re going to have a good mix of exciting new young bands performing live and DJ’s playing music for people to dance and have fun with.
4. Ok, well you have mastered the guitar stuff, how do you rate yourself as a DJ and what is your approach to a set?
I’ve actually been DJing for over 10 years on and off… I think it’s simply a good balance of playing music that you are into whilst at the same time reading what your audience want to hear. Once you figure that out I tend to draw up a list in my mind whilst I’m DJing so you can maintain and build the energy levels.
5. Based on the bands you have been involved with people may think the night will be all about indie classics…is it?
Not at all. I think people who know Bloc Party’s music will know that has never been what I’m all about and that electronic music and the club scene has always been a massive influence on what i do.
At this point in time putting on an “indie” night is almost a retro affair, i want to keep things fresh and current but of course there’s always value in incorporating a sense of familiarity when the time is right.
My favourite club nights have always been those that incorporated all genres with a focus on keeping people dancing… introducing people to great new music whilst also retaining a sense of fun.
What are your Top ten tracks that best put across what clubbers can hear at Russell Lissack presents PILOT
1. Uffie – Pop the glock (Felix Da Housecat remix)
2. TEED – Household Goods
3. Beastie Boys – Sabotage (Alex Metric remix)
4. Azealia Banks – 212
5. Disclosure – You and Me
6. TNGHT – Higher Ground (Hudson Mohawke remix)
7. Duke Dumont – Need you 100%
8 Digitalism – Wolves (RAC remix)
9. Leagues – Walking backwards
10. Say Lou Lou – Games for girls (The Penelopes remix).